Permanent makeup has become increasingly popular in recent years, as more and more women seek to save time on their morning routine by getting their eyebrows, eyeliner, and lips done permanently. If you’re thinking of starting your own permanent makeup business, there are a few things you need to know.
Here are the 9 steps you can take to get started on building your very own permanent makeup business.
9 Steps to Launching a New Permanent Makeup Business
1. Name Your Permanent Makeup Business
Give your permanent makeup business an identity so people will think of it as a well-known and respected brand. You can take the name of your permanent makeup business from your industry, focus on a geographical location, or use your own name among other options.
The main goal for naming your permanent makeup business is to make it sound appealing and trustworthy so that potential customers will be more interested in learning about your services.
2. Determine Your Permanent Makeup Business Model
There are several possible types of business models for a permanent makeup business including:
- A beauty salon that offers permanent makeup as an additional service
- A permanent makeup studio
- A mobile permanent makeup business
- An online permanent makeup business
No matter which model you choose, make sure that it aligns with your business goals and the products and services you offer.
3. Choose a Legal Form for Your Business
By incorporating your permanent makeup business, you will limit your liability. You can incorporate as a Limited Liability Company (LLC), a C Corporation (C-Corp), or an S Corporation (S-Corp). Or you can operate as a sole proprietorship.
The business structure you choose for your permanent makeup business will determine the amount of taxes you pay and which state or federal tax forms you need to file.
Read our article comparing the most common permanent makeup business structures.
4. Write a Permanent Makeup Business Plan
All permanent makeup business owners should develop a business plan.
A business plan is a document that outlines the goals, strategies, and operations of a business. It can be used to secure funding from investors or lenders, as well as to guide the day-to-day operations of the business. The business plan should include information on the company’s products or services, market analysis, financial projections, and management team among other things.
When developing your permanent makeup business plan and strategy, you should think about the following questions your customers might have:
- What is permanent makeup?
- What are the benefits of permanent makeup?
- How long does a session take?
- How often do I need to get my permanent makeup reapplied?
- How much does permanent makeup cost?
- How do I find a good permanent makeup artist?
- How long will permanent makeup last?
- Can you change the color of permanent makeup after application?
- Do you offer any discounts for multiple sessions?
Read our article about how to write a permanent makeup business plan.
5. Apply for the Necessary Permits and Licenses
There may be required licenses and permits you need to obtain before launching your permanent makeup business.
For example, some states require permanent makeup artists to have a valid cosmetology license. Other states may have different requirements.
To find out which licenses and permits you need to obtain, contact your local business licensing office or chamber of commerce.
Some common licenses and permits required for permanent makeup businesses include:
- Business License
- Health Permit
- Cosmetology License
- Tattoo License
You must also register your permanent makeup business as a legal entity with the state where you plan to do business. You can simply file an online form through your Secretary of State website.
Registering with the federal government is also essential so you can properly pay taxes for your business. You will also need an Employer Identification Number (EIN), which you can apply for at the IRS website, if you plan to hire employees.
Read our article about obtaining the proper permanent makeup business licenses.
6. Determine Your Budget & Apply for Funding as Needed
In developing your permanent makeup business plan, you will figure out how much funding you need to start and grow your business.
If you have your own funds to invest in your permanent makeup business, you may consider taking advantage of that. In addition to your personal funds, other forms of potential funding for your permanent makeup business include traditional bank loans, SBA loans, credit cards, angel investors and family and friends.
Read our article about the costs associated with starting a permanent makeup business to help you determine if funding is needed.
Read our article about how to fund your permanent makeup business.
7. Get the Technology & Software Needed to Run Your Business Efficiently
When you start your permanent makeup business, it’s essential to have the right technology in place to maximize efficiency. You definitely need a computer with Internet access, and accounting software for tracking expenses and revenues.
You may also want to invest in software specifically for the permanent makeup industry. For example, there are customer management software programs that can help you keep track of client information and appointments.
There is also software available that can help with marketing your business, such as social media management tools and email marketing platforms.
8. Market Your Permanent Makeup Business to Potential Customers
Before you start selling your products and services, you have to let the world know you exist. The first step is to create a website so people can learn more about your products and services and how they benefit them.
After you launch your website, start promoting it through social media channels like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Also consider networking with other people in the permanent makeup industry through social media and blogs so they can help share your business.
You also need to start gathering the materials needed to execute on your promotions strategy, which is your strategy for attracting new customers. Permanent makeup businesses should consider the following promotional strategies for which you should start getting prepared:
- Run ads in local publications
- Sponsor a charity event
- Give free treatments to the first 10 customers on a specific day
- Offer a discount for services booked in advance
- Hold a contest on social media
- Give a free product or service with each purchase
- Partner with a local spa or salon
- Network with other businesses in the industry
Read our article about how to market your permanent makeup business for more tips.
9. Get New Customers & Grow Your Business
When you promote your products and services, you’ll start to get interest from potential customers.
Make sure you’re ready to serve these customers. Also, be sure to establish systems to ensure consistency and reduce costs. And be sure to find and train the right people to help you grow your permanent makeup business.
Read our article about how to effectively grow your permanent makeup business to learn more.
Starting a Permanent Makeup Business FAQs
There are many reasons to start a permanent makeup business. Perhaps you’re passionate about the industry and want to help others feel better about themselves. Or, maybe you’re looking for an opportunity to be your own boss and control your own destiny. Whatever your reasons, starting a permanent makeup business can be a very rewarding experience.
There are a few key things you need to start a successful permanent makeup business. First, you need to have the right training and experience. Second, you need to have the right technology and software in place. And third, you need to market your business to potential customers.
There are a number of ways to market a permanent makeup business online. The first step is to create a website so people can learn more about your products and services and how they benefit them. After you launch your website, start promoting it through social media channels like Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. Also consider networking with other people in the permanent makeup industry through social media and blogs so they can help share your business.
Here are a few tips for starting a permanent makeup business:
Obtain the right training and experience
Position the right technology and software in place
Market your business to potential customers
Offer discounts and run promotions to attract new customers
Find and train the right people to help grow your business
Focus on providing high-quality services
Stay up-to-date with the latest industry trends
Offer a unique experience that sets you apart from your competitors
Build a strong social media presence
A simple checklist to use when starting a permanent makeup business is as follows:
- Name Your Permanent Makeup Business: This should be done with care, as your brand is important for attracting the right customers. A simple, memorable name will go a long way.
- Choose a Legal Form for Your Business: Whether you choose to become a sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, corporation or another option will depend on your business. Ensure that you are aware of all the implications of each type.
- Determine Your Permanent Makeup Business Model: Determine how your business will make money. Will you sell products, services, or a combination of both?
- Write a Permanent Makeup Business Plan: Your business plan will also help you determine what your start-up costs will be and will provide a roadmap with which you can launch and grow.
- Apply for the Necessary Permits and Licenses: In most locations you will be required to apply for a business license and/or permits before you can begin operations.
- Determine Your Budget & Apply for Funding as Needed: You will need to know how much money you have to spend on all of your business-related expenses before opening any doors. If needed, apply for a small business loan or other funding options.
- Get the Technology & Software Needed to Run Your Business Efficiently: You need to have the right tools in place to succeed. Implement software that will help you manage your time, contacts, and business operations in general.
- Market Your Permanent Makeup Business to Potential Customers: A solid marketing plan will be crucial to your success. It should focus on attracting the right customers so that you can provide them with the products and services they truly need.
- Get Customers & Grow Your Business: Once you have a solid marketing plan, it's time to actively pursue and secure those who could benefit the most from your products and services.
Starting a permanent makeup business can be a great way to provide people with the beauty services they desire. The above steps will help you get your business up and running smoothly.